Royal Philatelic Society of Canada sanctioned Awards
Gold, Vermeil, Silver, Silver-Bronze and Bronze awards will be presented to
those entries which merit such recognition. These awards are for
quality, therefore there can be more than one in each class.
Nova Scotia Stamp Club
The Grand Award – Best exhibit in show.
Reserve Grand Award – Runner-up to best exhibit sponsored by J-J Tillard.
The One-Frame Exhibit Grand Award – Best one-frame exhibit in show.
J. Doug Allen Novice Award
This award is donated by the Nova Scotia Stamp Club and is presented to the best
first-time winner of a Royal Philatelic Society of Canada Award.
Nova Scotia Stamp Club Award
Presented to a member-contributor for outstanding contributions to the club
and/or to the advancement of philately in Nova Scotia.
Ken C. MacDonald Postal History Award
The Award is presented in recognition of Ken C. MacDonald’s outstanding research in
postal history and his encouragement to fellow collectors. The award is to encourage research in the postal history
of Atlantic Canada and to recognize those who make a significant contribution in
The Ken C. MacDonald Postal History Award shall be awarded for excellence in any of
the following categories:
1) An exhibit of the postal history of Atlantic Canada presented at NOVAPEX.
2) Original research about the postal history of Atlantic Canada which has been
published in a form generally available to interested collectors. Such publications
should have occurred during the previous year.
3) A significant contribution to the advancement of Atlantic Canadian postal history.
George MacKenzie Aerophilately Award
The award shall be presented to a member of the Nova Scotia Stamp Club who,
as an exhibitor at a NSSC sponsored exhibition and in the opinion of the
Judges, has presented an outstanding exhibit on any aspect of
Aerophilately. The exhibit must receive at least a silver award from the judges during the
show in which it is exhibited.
The award, consisting of a shield with an aviation motif, will be held by
the winner for one year. A smaller shield or plaque will be also given to
the winner as a permanent keepsake. The winner’s name and year of award
will be engraved upon each.
The People's Choice Award
The Award for the most popular exhibit as determined by a vote by those who attend the exhibition.
Possible National (Regional) Level Awards (to be confirmed)
American Philatelic Society
Awards of Excellence (Medal):
- Best exhibit of Pre-1900 material
- Best exhibit of 1900-1940 material
- Best exhibit of 1940-1980 material
- Best exhibit of Post-1980 material
- APS Research Award
American Society of Philatelic Exhibitors
- Gold Pin (2- National)
- Silver Pin (2- Regional)
- WE Sterling Achievement Award (1- National, 1 - Regional)
- Philatelic Exhibiting Creativity Award - Pin
- Award of Excellence Trophy – Exhibit demonstrating Best Plan, Title Page, Headings
Note Award of Excellence is also open to regional level exhibits
- Novice Award (Regional) - 1 year's membership in APPE
American Topical Association
- Gold Medal & Ribbon – Best thematic exhibit in show
- Silver Medal and Ribbon – 2nd best thematic exhibit in show
- Bronze Medal and Ribbon – 3rd best thematic exhibit in show
- Merit Award Ribbon – Best one-frame exhibit in show
British North America Philatelic Society
(National or Regional BNA material)
- Best BNA Exhibit (Plaque and Ribbon)
- Best 2, 3, or 4 frame BNA Exhibit (Plaque and Ribbon)
- Best 1-frame Exhibit (Plaque and Ribbon)
- Best Researched BNA Exhibit (Plaque and Ribbon)
- BNAPS Elizabethan Study Group Award (Pin)
Canadian Aerophilatelic Society
- Plaque for Best Aerophilately Exhibit
Philatelic Specialists Society of Canada
- Medal Ribbon, and Certificate for excellence in research and depth of study
Postal History Society of Canada
- Ribbon and Certificate – for Best British North America Postal History Exhibit
- Rich Toop Memorial Award – Certificate for Best Military Exhibit